Keeping Our Promises
In our 2014 local manifesto we promised communities a greater say in how local services are designed and delivered. We have kept that promise, working with allotment holders, council tenants and many other community groups over the past 12 months. Thousands of you responded to our Stronger Exeter consultation to tell us about the services and facilities you value. If re-elected, our next step is to consult on detailed budget proposals for the next 2 years.
The promises we've kept:
1. Secured Council approval for a new Swimming Pool and appointed designers
2. Introduced the Living Wage for City Council employees
3. Introduced new Council apprenticeships
4. Secured 35% social and affordable housing on new developments and built new low-energy Council Houses.
5. Set up the Exeter Health & Wellbeing Board to improve working with the NHS
6. Launched an Allotment Forum to improve communication and partnership working with allotment holders across the city
7. Invested in community and cultural projects with our Grants schemes
8. Supported the development of Exeter Pound to benefit local businesses
9. Worked with the Police and businesses to tackle the problem of Legal High shops
10. Secured commitments from developers to join the new district heating network in the Monkerton area.
What we'll do over the next year:
1. Work on the next stage of the Swimming Pool, including consulting on the design
2. Introduce a Local Labour Agreement to increase local jobs in construction
3. Work with businesses to provide more apprenticeships for young people
4. Continue to build new energy-efficient Council Houses to reduce fuel poverty
5. Explore new ways to provide affordable homes, including co-operative housing
6. Work together with residents and local businesses to build a legacy from the Rugby World Cup.
7. Work in partnership with local people to protect our parks and play areas
8. Work with a credit union to improve access to ethical and affordable credit
9. Support the completion of new train stations at Newcourt and Marsh Barton
10. Continue to work towards the delivery of the new Monkerton district heating scheme.